Saturday, October 17, 2009

Jewellery Trunk Show 3 -- An Actual Trunk Show

An example of an actual jewellery trunk show




I've just returned from the jewellery trunk show hosted by a long time customer of mine (over 10 years). They are the most successful and discipline outfit in their city and surrounding area. They have 2 locations ( 1 in a mall, and a street boutique in a nice residential shopping district). They carry designer brands from all over Canada and USA, and some Scandinavian countries. They specialize in sterling silver and focus on higher quality jewellery designs.

It was successful & they were very happy. I helped sell a lot of my jewellery pieces they already had in their store (although I don't have the total amounts for those). Of the new jewellery designs that I had brought to the jewellery trunk show, we sold (retail, net of 10% discount for the event) just over $4000. I had a lot of fun and spent some time to train each of the staff. This particular store does this often, with different designers & has jewellery trunk shows at least every 4 wks. They have created a large following over the years, and use the jewellery trunk shows events to increase store traffic.

This is what happened at the jewellery trunk show:

- The date for the jewellery trunk show was set over 8 wks prior to the event (Friday for Mall, and Saturday for street boutique location)

- The jewellery boutique operators placed a 3"x5" picture ad in local newspaper, printed small flyers & placed them in front the case where my designs are showcased (4 wks before the event), emailed notice to their customer list

- The jewellery boutique told customers about the upcoming event & introduce the flyer as customers are cashing out or leaving the store, so to bring them back again soon

- The jewellery boutique had printed large signs for the event and put it on a large easel for the mall location, and in the window of the street boutique location. They also had the ad on a large flat screen television in the store. The presentation was very impressive, and did draw a great deal of foot traffic attention for the jewellery trunk show.

- I provided the photography of my jewellery designs and the company logo

- I brought new & different jewellery deisgns, some very expensive show pieces, some 14kt gold, but also some others I've designed only for the show

- I ticketed all of the jewellery with retail prices and item codes.

- I worked selling from the cases, and also of regular merchandise, full day from opening, and at the mall location, only until 6pm.

- The boutique supplied extra staff for cashing out and to handle extra traffic created by the jewellery trunk show.

- The boutique emptied some showcases, right at the entrance to the store, for me to put merchandise for the jewellery trunk show.

- I also brought some jewellery displayers, and these were fully utilized because I had brought more jewellery than they had room to contain.

- When new merchandise ("show merchandise") was sold, they kept the tickets and totalled at the end of the day & I invoice later for it at wholesale(in one location, they preferred to enter everything into the computer properly & printed out extra copy of receipts for me for each sale that was for show merchandise).

- During the jewellery trunk show, when someone wants to special order something, they pay 50% down payment & I deliver it later, with contact name stapled to each item (I made notes & contact info, though they input customer info into their system & generated an order that they later faxed to our office - this is their procedure, but not necessary since I took very good notes)

- During the jewellery trunk show, I tried to encourage special orders and ad-ons, as a perk for them to attend "meet the designer" type of events. I'm willing to make things so that no one else will have it.

- The boutique's policy on jewellery trunk shows is to give 10% off of that jewellery designer's merchandise for that day only, and they absorb this fully. So, I invoiced the boutique at regular wholesale, 50% of the retail price before the 10% jewellery trunk show discount.

For more information on What are Trunk Shows and Their Benefits click here.

For more about the Do's and Don'ts of Trunk Shows click here .

For more about Trunk Show Practices click here .

No comments:

Post a Comment